Author Topic: Creator of the EZ Scripts passed away  (Read 2325 times)

Offline webhog

• Mr Palm Bay
Creator of the EZ Scripts passed away
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
Sorry to hear the news about Jan passing away.

I haven't been posting anything here in a long time because I have not had any problems with the product in a long time. So that, in itself, is testament to the work that Jan put into.

I have also dealt with Jason who will be working the forums and will continue progress of the EZ Scripts. Jason has been a tremendous help to me & others here. I'm glad that he will not let the EZ Scripts fade away.

Thank you, both.

Marty

Offline JustLearning

Re: Creator of the EZ Scripts passed away
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
I agree with you, Marty.  Jan did a terrific job on the scripts, and I have been fortunate over the years to use them in many implementations, with hardly any problems.  Jan will be sorely missed.

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
It would be nice to learn a little bit more about Jan Buys.
How old was he when he died, where was he from, what year did he first develop the scripts?
Did he work full time as a computer programmer?
(Perhaps Jason who new him personally could fill us in?)

There are a lot of web developers out there who would be very thankful (like me) for the flexibility these scripts offer.
Many of us have been using them for years...
I can't remember, was it Jan ("EZ") who used to run ezscripting.com before Jason took it over?

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
Here is an answer to some of  my question above that I found on the old EZ site located here.
http://www.ezscripting.co.uk/

EZscripting was created in 1999 by Darren Deans and based on an original idea by Mutasem Abudahab. In 2000 the scripts were fully re-written and launched on EZscripting.co.uk as free downloads. The scripts soon became very popular and have been downloaded millions of times. By 2003 the site moved domain to a new home EZscripting.com and the advanced 'Xtra' versions were launched. In 2006 the site changed ownership to Jan Buys, however very sadly Jan died in 2012. The project continues today managed by Jason Tizedes.

Thanks to ePage for reminding me of the same great memories he mentions in his post below.
http://www.ezscriptingforums.com/index.php?topic=595.0
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:06:12 PM by Paul »

Offline darrendeans

• Darren Deans
    • Darren Deans
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:00:05 AM »
Hello Paul, thank you for your posting.

As as fan of the EZ scripts I found them myself as an abandoned project back in 1999, they had been written by Mutasem Abudahab and forgotten, I loved the scripts and in response the hundreds of requests online to fix the bugs and make them work I decided to pick up the project.

I re-designed the scripts and added new features with the help of number of coders and relaunched them in 2000. By 2006 the project was going very well and Jan had become the main coder for the projects, with a lot of requests for custom versions of the scripts, Jan was very busy helping customers with special projects.

After 7 years of running EZ it was time to move on and the only person who could take over the 'EZ' badge was Jan who then introduced new scripts and new life to the project.

So it was with great sadness that I learned that Jan has passed away in 2012, I only new Jan from the EZ project and never actually met in person. Jan was always friendly and very professional, full of ideas and always keen to help customers. The project would never be what it became without Jan.

It was Jason Tizedes who then took on the 'EZ' badge and keeps the site running today and gets the thanks of the EZ fans for his help.

Still today (and actually right now) I am using the scripts myself, they are perfect for so many projects and you can do so much with them, I love the flexibility.

After a computer disaster a few months back I found the back-up of the site as it looked back in 2000, so I uploaded it onto the old domain ezscripting.co.uk as a little reminder to make me smile! They are the old scripts and all the new ones and Xtra versions are on the EZscripting.com website.

I hope that answers your question a little Paul and thank you for asking..!

Darren Deans (EZ #1)

Darren Deans

Offline Paul

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Thanks very much for that Darren  (EZ #1)  ... not just for that great overview, but for taking the initiative back in the last century - 1999!
Like you, I still use the scripts in many projects.

Thanks again for your work, and making the web a better place.
Paul

:) Happy memories.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:07:22 AM by Paul »