Author Topic: Reference a Specific Record's Title, short text etc  (Read 1437 times)

Offline jackferguson

Reference a Specific Record's Title, short text etc
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Hi,

I have modified the 'headlines' template to use it as my home page and want to use a content slider above the list of headlines for the 4 latest stories. How do i reference a specific record's Title, Short Text etc? If/once I implement that I am happy to update the stories by changing the record id's manually, unless there is a better solution?

If I can implement the above, I would then not include the 4 latest stories in the 'headlines' list....I am thinking I would just set 'show' as 'no' for the 4 latest records? would that work? i.e. could I still refer to them in the content slider despite them not being visible in the headlines list?

Please note: the current headlines and short text in the content slider are just manually added at the moment. My site is under development at: http://www.shaymen.co.uk hopefully you can see what I am trying to achieve. I am using Xtra version of the script.

Thanks for the help in advance!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:53:03 AM by jackferguson »

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
Re: Reference a Specific Record's Title, short text etc
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »
Hi Jack,

I admittedly do not use the news script very much as I simply adapt the CSV scripts to do whatever I want. Since I don't use them I looked into what I think you are asking and I believe the most seamless solution would be to use virtual includes.

http://www.ezscripting.com/news/instructions.htm#Inserting%20the%20headlines%20into%20a%20webpage

You can select the number of headlines to display, the mode, etc. As for the slider, I think you mean the news ticker? In that event the virtual include is the best way as well. The demo site is not functioning as of now since I do not quite have everything transitioned over from the old system. But I think those point you in the right direction!

Jason
Founder of www.slipdex.com

Offline jackferguson

Re: Reference a Specific Record's Title, short text etc
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Hi

thanks for the reply Jason. No, I actually mean a content/news slider that I am trying to incorporate in to the news template which is why includes won't work for what i'm trying to achieve. (The includes works great for my other 'News' Page. If you go to website www.shaymen.co.uk, i think you will see what I'm trying to do. Within the content slider, I need to reference the 4 latest record's title, short_text and link. The link is straight forward enough (e.g. http://www.shaymen.co.uk/index.pl?record=1) but how would i reference a specific record's short text? e.g [[short_text]] for record 1 for example so that the short text for record one gets printed/displayed within the content slider. Thanks very much for your efforts.