Author Topic: Not my scripts  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
Not my scripts
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:17:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to drop a note to everyone to tell them that these scripts are EZ's, not mine.  I know I help out a lot on here, but trust me, EZ is the master of these bad boys.  Adalby and I are great sources for hacks and javascript work arounds, but recently I had a PM that was asking me specifics about how the scripts came to be.  I am an avid user and I truly believe these are the most versatile scripts of their kind on the internet, and they are worth WAY more than what EZ charges for them!!  I just believe in helping others realize the ability of these scripts because trust me, they can do WAY more than anything you have ever seen.  A few stats for you....

We use the scripts on 7 online projects which get a total monthly bandwidth usages of around 30gb.  Doesn't sound like alot, but when you figure 90% is just text transfer that is.  Our main project uses 12 installs of the various scripts, over 30 templates and we use it to authenticate users and create custom user interfaces.  Over 25,000 lines of code specifically written to most utilize these scripts.  There have been nearly 7000 orders processed thru these script in only 10 months for a total of nearly $5 million US in sales.  Messaging, new order alerts and auto updating are just a few things we have adapted these scripts to do.

I am by far the biggest supportor of what these scripts can do, but please don't PM me about the scripts themselves, that is what the forum is for!  I'm happy to help with hacks, but there are people that know these scripts even better than me, and trust me, others will have your same questions, so please use the forum. 

OK, that is the end of Jason's Rant Part 1!!  haha

Jason
Founder of www.slipdex.com

Offline Paul

Re: Not my scripts
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:46:04 AM »
Wow Jason,

It is so encouraging seeing someone using these scripts in such large projects and so successfully. Well done.

I agree with you in every respect. These scripts are fantastic...the template system is just so customisable.

The one thing that worries me though is the "future proofing" of a site, just in case a database gets really popular...I'm talking about tens of thousands of entries.

EZ has mentioned the possibility of having a MySQL version in the future. I hope, it will be easy for established EZ script users to migrate to this new setup.

Some of us, like yourself & Aaron, have also customised some aspects of the perl scripts...if we migrate to another platform such as PHP, there could be a huge amount of work involved getting everything in order again.

(Although I believe PERL can link up with MySQL without any problems, PHP seems to be used a lot more)

Some food for thought.

And while I'm at it, thanks for being such a positive and helpful forum member.

Top stuff!

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »
Paul, there are no plans to migrate to PHP as long as Perl is still supported on most hosts.  So a MySQL version would be in Perl too.  We will of course offer a script to pump over your data from txt file to MySQL.

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
Great...that's goood to know EZ (I'm a bit of a PERL fan)  ;D

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »
Paul,

To go along with the database size worries, I currecntly have a client that is adding about 250 entries a week, and 3 other companies that are poised to get on board with similar systems.  As long as the script does not allow for a huge number of records to display per page, I have much success displaying data.  I do have one feature that dumps 500 records per page and each record has about 50 fields.  That takes about 7 seconds to load each page, other than that, no issues on my end!

Jason

Offline Paul

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:31:34 AM »
I realise how efficient the flat file database system is Jason.

I just get the impression that some people (e.g. clients) think flat file is not very sophisticated...a bit "old hat".

Its a little bit like this forum ... it was once a very simple but efficient forum run on a flat file, but now it is a much more feature rich and dynamic forum run on MySQL.

It would just be nice to have that option of going to MySQL.

I'm just a hobby web developer ...but one day I would like to start making some money ... and when that day comes I'll probably have to migrate to MySQL

For the time being, playing around with the flat file database has been a great way to start out, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Had you ever had that issue (flat file vs MYSQL etc) with clients Jason?

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 02:36:02 PM »
Well luckily for me my clients are not tech savy at all!!  Not dumb people, but smart enough to know to leave it in the hands of a professional! haha

But seriously, the system that we run on the ez script now that has been wildly successful, we are developing a php/mysql version for main stream deployment.  The advantage to these scripts was that it was SO easy and fast to get an actual working version without having to worry about adding tables and DB writing to features for mysql.

There will be a day when we outgrow the ez scripts for certain applications, just because we have to go to more user centric systems allowing multiple user levels and screens (though we do that now with ez scripts) but the expansion capability would be incredible.  Though we may move to python instead, but the ez scripts will always be dear to my heart! haha

Anyone reading this post, you have to trust us, coming from a developer with over 10 years experience (yahoo.com is only 11 years old) these scripts are the best!!  Hands down, you can make any database interaction application you could dream of, and do it quickly!

Jason

Offline vanbao

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
Jason,

I am very thankful for you help on this forum and I agree with you 100% on the ease of use and how incredible these scripts are.   For future expansion, I share Paul's concern.  It would be wonderful if EZ can publish the upgrades for these scripts to work with mySQL.  I can not wait for that day to come as my flat file database is geting very very large. 

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 02:09:33 PM »
Ask your host to switch to SATA disks for now   ;) ... the MySQL versions are certainly to come.  But updates are slow for the moment.

Bit too busy  :(

Offline vanbao

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »
EZ,

Are there any new developments in the mySQL department.  I am very anxious to be able to use these script using mySQL.

Thanks.