Author Topic: User Name and Password required?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Brent

User Name and Password required?
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
Hello... I was just wondering if there is a way (or if the script can) to require a username and password before people can post topics?

Thanks, Brent

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
Re: User Name and Password required?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:25 AM »
The script does not offer this possibility.  Maybe you can find some javascript for this?

Offline chrisbelli

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
I got around this by requiring people to sign up for a username and password... using any form script of choice....

you then add the username and password to a csv database...

then write a login page to have the user enter both username and password....
do a csvsearch.pl call to the database with "perfect" as the method...

set the template of the csvsearch.pl script the form you currently use
***make sure to have the form you are currently using for the user to post between the </template> </template> tags ***

see...     http://mywillowstreet.com/login.html

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:13:54 PM by chrisbelli »

Offline robbhouston

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:23:48 AM »
Just FYI...

I checked out your suggestion by following your link.

First off, it doesn't seem like you're running ForumScript (at that address, at least). Looks more like some form of the database scripts.

Secondly, I was able to get around your password protection by, first, entering  any name and password. Once I got the "Sorry not found..." message, I simply removed the method=perfect part of the string in the resulting address, changed the incorrect name and password to single letters (ex: "a" for name and "e" for password worked fine), and hit enter. I was then dumped into the "Add Stuff" page. I didn't add anything, BTW.

I've used a similar method myself to password protect certain databases (ie: searching a "user_database" in order to access "that_users_database", kind of a quasi-relational thing). It was a while back, so it's hard to recall everything I did to beef up the security (used a combo of javascripts and the built in features of the EZScripts), but I know I did get it a bit tighter by fooling around with the default_show_mode and min_query_length settings. Hope that tip is helpful.

I would still love to have some sort of user name and password for the ForumScript. Or, at the very least, a way to block certain characters and/or words. This, in order to cut down (or eradicate) spammers.

--Robb

Update: I just saw the "Add some SECURITY!" thread in the Tips & Tricks forum. Will definitely check that out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:15:02 PM by robbhouston »

Offline robbhouston

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »
Just a quick note...

I was going to post a message on this person's website as an example of the slim security he's got going, but I suppose it doesn't matter. The site doesn't seem to have much activity, legit or spam.

Personally, I've had real issues with spammers. So bad, it's been corrupting my ForumScript database with HTML thick spam posts. It's been so consistant, I've had to simply turn off a few of the forums I operate. I can only assume these are some kind of automated posts, as they're always identical. Have tried relocating the script to a new address, but it always seems to crop up again.

Anyway, I was just thinking I'd let this mywillowstreet guy know that sometimes folks (that is, geeks with too much time on their hands) will spontaneously begin to (and relentlessly continue to) spam sites that don't seem worthy of such attention. Frankly, I can't figure out why anyone would spam my own low traffic forums, but it has happened. Just thought the admin to mywillowstreet might be interested in avoiding such trouble.

Then again, maybe not?

--Robb

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »
Hello Rob,

Those attacks are automated to even the point that they do not even decide on which forums they spam.  These are scripts that run on compromised pc's (virus, worm, etc...) and that do nothing than try to send spam via mail or via web forms/forums.  It's a pretty sad situation.

I've been a victim of this with my forumscript site too, and changing the name of the script a few times and also renaming the pages that refer to the script, has effectively solved it for me.

I have once thought about adding a captcha (the image with a word that you have to type in before you get access) to all my scripts, but that requires a perl package that most hosts do not offer and this would seriously make it hard for people to install the scripts.

Bit of a difficult situation.  I hope my above workaround works for most...  my forumscript site is free of spam since I did that some months ago.

This forum has captchas enabled since I got spam on this forum too, but then again it took me days to install and set up this forum, which is not the kind of "EZ" approach we aim at.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:55:37 AM by EZ »

Offline greybeard

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
If not captcha, then a simple form that asks a question the admin defines works pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:59:46 PM by greybeard »

Offline nordsea

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:25:10 PM »
hi, has anyone got any update on captcha (javascript, etc...) or like the ones suggested by greybeard or with those "math addition"...to go along with forumscript?

or maybe someone can tweak Jcap (Captcha Validation Javascript) for forumscript and share it here.

just a suggestion...any help greatly appreciated.

thanks!