Author Topic: I am still getting spam thru my form  (Read 2125 times)

Offline burta

I am still getting spam thru my form
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Is there a way to verify if the spamming is from an individual?

Is there any tests I can run to ensure that pl script is running correctly?

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
Re: I am still getting spam thru my form
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
One easy way to get rid of spam is to change the name of your script to something obscure like gY78Jkiu&54.pl

Also, you can include a hidden required field within the form and if the spam bot does not include the hidden form the form will get rejected.

Jason
Founder of www.slipdex.com

Offline burta

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:19 PM »
OK.  If the field is hidden but required, how do people get around this? Just curious.  :P

I will change the name of the script.  Thanks

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:00:39 AM »
Burt,

what you do is require the element from within the script.  I think you do it from the script, I haven't used it in a while.  Then in your form add this tag:

<input type=hidden name=spamkiller value=wh87yth90>

Just call the element whatever you want, then give it some random value or an easy value, whichever.  When a user submits it, the hidden field has a value, but when a spambot does it, they often do not search for hidden tags within the source.  worth a try.

Jason

Offline burta

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
Cool.  I will give it a go and see how it works.  THanks.

Offline n1alien

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
Well I also am getting HTML type spam pasted in the comments block of two forms and would love to get the details about how to put the required stuff for a hidden field in the script. No problem putting a hidden field in the form, the HTML tag just doen's seem to stop anything.

Offline Jason

• Administrator
    • slipdex
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »
Can't do it in the script.  You have to add the tag to the form.  If it is still occuring, chances are it is being manually entered, and not put there by a bot.  You can try changing the value of the hidden tag, or change your script name.

Jason

Offline n1alien

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »
OK Jason I did find where you dealt with that in another place, maybe the next update will have banned words in it things like http:// would kill the attempt eather by BOT or manual. I put the script in a sub directory, named it a bit kinky and  required a number for the hidden field. We will see if it stops them for the time being.

Offline n1alien

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 04:00:28 AM »
Well I found a solution to keep the http:// stuff out of the comments box if someone can tell me houw to make the java script work within form2email . There are two scripts out there that can handle banned words but getting it to validade and getting the form to post on an error free state has me baffled. But at my age I admit I am challenged easily.