Author Topic: How do I display the RSS Feed in NewsScriptXtra?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline marck

How do I display the RSS Feed in NewsScriptXtra?
« on: August 28, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
I have the script working fine. Now I want to see the RSS feed on the headlines page. There appears to be no mention of this oin your documentation. How do I accomplish this?

Offline rogersjr

• Save the Cerberus
Re: How do I display the RSS Feed in NewsScriptXtra?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
I showed my way of doing this using an iframe at www.ezscriptingforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=656.0

One advantage of using this method is that the the webpage does not need to be renamed .shtml. Nor are include statements needed. The code can therefore be easily added to other sites who wish to inform their viewers of the latest news on my site. One of our supporters did just this a third of the way down his page at http://users.netconnect.com.au/~ianmac/cerberus.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:24:14 PM by rogersjr »

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be

Offline JB

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:58:11 PM »
I'm only just getting into RSS, and have recently upgraded to the latest Xtra version.
I am creating the RSS file OK, but the testing service at W3C finds that it is peppered with code errors (the database news file is several months old)
For example, it doesn't like the symbol, the ampersand, some kinds of single quote, double quote, hyphens etc.
Also, it has been my habit to include hyperlinks in my news text, and apparently these are not allowed. It looks like I have to do a thorough cleaning and editing exercise on my data file, and be extremely careful about what I add in future.
Are there any tips?

Offline rogersjr

• Save the Cerberus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Try using £ instead of the pound symbol. I regulary use links in my news items and do not have any problems.

http://www.ourcerberus.com/cgi-bin/newsscript/newsscript.pl

Offline JB

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
I've tried that, and it works - BUT - if I edit the news item later, NewsScript turns it back into th Pound symbol.
Ideally, I would prefer to enter the pound symbol, and have NewsScript turn it into the £ or £ string.

Offline rogersjr

• Save the Cerberus
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »
One solution would be to remember, that if editing, to redo the pound sign as £ Alternatively you could migrate to somewhere that uses the dollar sign.  :)