Author Topic: Random exclamation points in html email  (Read 5010 times)

Offline designworksgarage

Random exclamation points in html email
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:29:16 PM »
Getting a random placed exclamation point in the test of my html emails. Even if I change the text where the "!" is in the test email, it still comes back. It is definately not part of my code.

Any ideas???

THanks

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
Re: Random exclamation points in html email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:37:13 AM »
Hi,

I tested your system (see my yesterdays mail) and it did not include the exclamation points.  I forwarded the resulting mail to your.

Offline designworksgarage

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:49:31 AM »
THe email you had sent was not what I had pointed you to. This has happened to me on two different occasions as well as for two different clients. I shot you a copy of the email being sent out, so you should have received the exact email I was referring to with the "!" in the location.

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 11:03:18 AM »
Could you send me the HTML code that causes this to happen?  I will retry in a few hours.

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:37:14 PM »
I found the problem.  But not sure what is causing it but I think it is your server sendmail doing this.

Often, HTML is a bit structured in that sense that you do not put all of your code on one looooong line.  In the HTML given to the script, most of the page is all on one very long line.  That should not at all be problem for Perl (I have it handling lines 200 megabytes sometimes), but it seems it is for sendmail.  Sendmail will then break up the very long line and - for one or another dark reason - insert an exclamation mark (!) where it did so.

What I did to make it send the mail without any problems, was to copy the html code to notepad and insert a few line breaks (by pressing enter) myself.  Gone were the exclamation marks.

I will try to find some way to make ezmailer go around such strange sendmail implementation, but I guess that you have a workaround for now.  Although I wonder which HTML editor you used.  Frontpage always structures the code a bit so that it remains readable.

Offline EZ

• Babelnotes.be
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
Adapted version sent, still waiting for feedback.